Welcome to the home page for the Coast Guard Cutter SOUTHWIND WAGB 280. This web
site is dedicated to all the members of the Coast Guard that served aboard this mighty
ship. The SOUTHWIND was originally commissioned on July 19, 1944, in San Pedro,
California as the ultimate in modern icebreaker design. She was a wind class breaker and
joined her sister ships in the Coast Guard's war-time fleet and was assigned duties in the
waters of the Arctic escorting ships to our northern outposts.
In March, 1945, Southwind was sent to Russia under the lend lease program, was returned
to the United States Navy in Yokosuka, Japan in 1950 and was named USS ATKA. After
emergency repairs, the Navy sailed the ship to Boston which was her home port for the
next 16 years.
In late 1966, the ship was transferred to the Coast Guard and became the USCGC ATKA.
The new crew sailed the ship from Boston to her new home port of Baltimore. In 1967, and
at the crew's request, the ship was given her original name: USCGC SOUTHWIND
completing a remarkable historical cycle.
For the complete history of the SOUTHWIND click on the History link above.